Monday 5 May 2008

Harecastle


The southern portal of Harecastle Tunnel, on the Trent and Mersey Canal near Kidsgrove, Staffordshire. Built by Telford in 1827, this is the second of the two tunnels. The first is no longer navigable. In the 1950s, a fan house was built over the southern portal to extract engibe fumes from the tunnel, as there are no ventilation shafts.
The tunnel is said to be haunted by the Kidsgrove Boggart or "Kit Crewbucket".
See Google Aerial View of this location.
See LiveSearch Birds Eye View of this location.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went thru there last summer after buying my Dawncraft22 off the Caldon.

I was wearing Tee shirt & shorts, It was scary the first time as I didnt go in convoy, so no distractions just staring ahead shivering and trying to focus on the "Pin Light" in the distance. I found myself getting disorientated and it felt like I was going uphill. The second time was a breeze. When I came out the other side 3 canal boats of holiday makers gave me a loud cheer. The girls in Bikins sitting in the prow, were in for a cold shock...I loved it it was an experience..Kev